Finally an easy and satisfying rice pudding recipe that needs no egg, which makes it too thick, too rich, and does not taste as good as this does. You can even omit the raisins, but I really love them.
- ¾ c basmati rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ t salt
- Combine. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 10 mins.
- Combine and let soak while rice is cooking:
- ¼ c. raisins
- 1 t. vanilla
- ¼ c. maple syrup or my favorite Birch Syrup from Alaska
- ¼ c. coconut milk
- Toast on low in a small fry pan:
- 1 c. chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds or combination.
After 10 mins, remove lid from rice pot. Add:
- 2 c. unsweetened coconut milk (I used So Delicious brand, not the canned condensed )
- 1 can evaporated milk
Stir together and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes stirring frequently to make sure it does not stick or burn on the bottom.
Remove pot from heat. Let sit for a minute or two. Stir again. Make sure to get into the pot crease and incorporate all the rice. Stir in raisins with all the liquid. Add nuts. Stir again and again. Admire the sheen, the aroma and the texture. Spoon some hot into a bowl right out of the pot. Add a little cream, half&half or lactaid, or whatever milk you like…DO NOT ADD ALMOND MILK. It is just too bitter.